Monday, October 9, 2017

Zoned Out

By Isabel Betancourt

Most likely you have heard of CrossFit before. You may have driven by one of the 13,000 gyms worldwide or have been on the receiving end of an “I LOVE CROSSFIT” monologue.
CrossFit prides itself not only in building incredible all-terrain athletes, but also in promoting health and dissipating disease. I have been a proud Crossfitter for a year-and-a-half and this past summer I decided to go a little further into the rabbit hole and get my “Level 1 Coaching” certification. This is a weekend certification course that requires participants to familiarize themselves with a 250-page manual beforehand, and proceed to spending a weekend with expert coaches practicing technique, cues, programing, scaling and *cue drumroll* nutrition
The overarching dogma for CrossFit nutrition is Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar”. This philosophy, although missing in dairy and legumes, is promoted as ideal for disease-prevention and for optimizing physical performance.
The diet and nutrition portion began with the trainer giving a brief and oversimplified summary in the bioenergetics of exercise. I was very pleased that the off-times outspoken and overconfident grad student in me simply sat on her hands and did not add “yes, that’s true, but…” after every sentence. He then moved on to explain the “Zone Diet”, the endorsed diet for Crossfitters worldwide. This eating plan is designed around a “block” pattern, where all meals and snacks are consumed in macronutrient blocks of 9 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams of protein and 1.5 grams of fat. The numbers of blocks allowed per day/meal are determined by your protein needs, calculated by your lean body mass and activity level (reference table below).

So, you wanted to only have grapes for your afternoon snack? Nope, can’t do that! You will need to add meat, nuts, or oils in order to stick to your prescribed block pattern. Bon appétit!  
I’m sure by now all RDs and RDs-To-Be are cringing in unison knowing that this massive fitness organization is prescribing ONE diet plan for ALL participants.
However, I have to confess that I was legitimately excited during the session in thinking that MAYBE this could actually be a good recommendation because, let’s face it, CrossFit athletes are just THAT AWESOME and SUPER-HUMAN. So there I was, drinking the Kool-Aid and nodding along … while the very far back of my brain was incessantly flipping through all the evidence-based recommendations for carbohydrate intake in strength and power athletes.
The weekend ended with strict instructions to give the diet a two-week chance and “reap the benefits!” So I did. I bought a food scale, all the fancy tupperwares, and studied the portion sizes and recipes. It was fun and exciting for about 3.5 days. I did feel like I was eating enough of food and I liked the menu I had created. However, have YOU ever tried to get your recommended carbohydrates from just vegetables? It was literally Field Day for my microbiota. They were happily feasting in all the surplus fiber… and I was left feeling bloated, gassy, and uncomfortable for the majority of the day.  My food choices and portions also felt a little strange. I was used to eating beans, peas, grains and nuts, and it was difficult to incorporate or make them fit the “block” pattern. Although nuts are allowed in the diet, it was very restricted. The fat “block” in my snacks was limited to three almonds. T-H-R-E-E. I usually munch on a good 12-18 in one sitting... Talk about needing to adjust portion sizes.
Halfway through my diet endeavor, I decided to comb through the 250-page manual, looking for any scientific evidence in support of it. The manual stated, “CrossFit’s best performers are Zone eaters. When our second tier athletes commit to strict adherence to the Zone parameters, they generally become top-tier performers quickly. It seems that the Zone Diet accelerates and amplifies the effects of the CrossFit regimen.” That’s it, that’s all they gave me… and I found this “evidence” to be, well, wanting. 
Taking a deeper look at the diet, I learned that it was created over 30 years ago (before CrossFit, Inc.)
by a biochemist named Dr. Sears. He devised this low-carbohydrate diet claiming that it would improve body composition, reduce hunger between meals, reduce the risk of chronic disease, and improve athletic performance in as little as 7-10 days. In my years of experience with nutrition and exercise, I could understand how the Zone diet could help individuals lose weight and improve body composition… but I had a difficult time seeing how it could enhance athletic performance (because leanness does NOT equal better sport performance). Putting the uncomfortable bloating aside, to me it looked like this diet was simply too low in carbs and calories for fueling and recovery!

I was able to find one research study that looked at the Zone diet recommendations and physical performance (Jarvis, et al., 2002). This study examined the effects of a 7-day Zone diet intervention on maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), running time to exhaustion, and body composition. The study concluded, “… the claim of the authors of the Zone diet that performance time and VO2 max can be improved was not shown in this 1-week research trial. We would suggest that this is not a nutritional strategy that athletes should use until further work has been conducted. It is important to note that this study was only one week long, limited to only eight men in their twenties and looked at parameters that would most likely not be significantly affected in one week of training.  However, this still proves my point. Where is the research? Why does CrossFit, Inc. feel so strongly about promoting the Zone Diet?
Keeping in mind the CrossFit training modality, where intensity is prioritized and workouts are designed to leave you on your back, in a pool of sweat, gasping for air… I think there may be a slight disconnect between the diet recommendation and the workout regiment. These repeated sessions of intense training, followed by inadequate recovery, have the potential of leading to depleted glycogen stores, overtraining and central fatigue.
As for me, I was only able to stick to the Zone Diet for a week and a half. In that time I felt no stronger, better, or faster than before.  Despite this small scuff in the road, CrossFit and I have a long and exciting future ahead. I will simply stick to making my own meal plans from now on. Thanks, but no thanks.
CrossFit diet recommendations (2004) 

No comments:

Post a Comment