Tuesday, November 30, 2021

10 Tips for Grocery Shopping on a Budget

By Sarah Katherine Gaston, Dietetic Intern

People often ask me how I keep my grocery budget as low as it is. I stick to a strict grocery budget while still ensuring I get all the food I need and want! Below are some tips and tricks I use to follow an affordable grocery budget: 

1. Make a list 

This is the first and most important step. Before entering the grocery store, write down your list of ingredients and stick to it. Making lists avoids over-purchasing items that you don’t need, and it will also save you time wandering around the store. 

2. Shop once a week 

I’m a huge proponent of shopping once a week. It forces you to make a meal plan, which avoids over-purchasing. It minimizes what I like to call “grab items.” These are ingredients you grab off the shelf when passing by and not ones that you necessarily need or planned to buy. The more times you go to the grocery store throughout the week, the more you tempt yourself with “grab items.” 

3. Check your pantry 

Taking inventory of the pantry can be helpful to remind yourself of non-perishables you might have stocked up on but aren’t utilizing. Pantries are often cluttered, making it easy for items to get pushed to the back and forgotten. Taking stock of what you have on hand can help while meal planning and avoid purchasing extra items you might already have at home. 

4. Coordinate your recipe ingredients 

I believe this is the biggest way I save. When planning my meals for the week, I typically start with one or two meals I’m craving and write down the ingredients needed. Then, I look at my ingredients and base additional meals/snacks around utilizing the same items. This reduces potential food waste and minimizes purchases. 

5. Buy Meat/Protein in Bulk 

Not all food items are cheaper in bulk, but meats/proteins typically are. I buy my meat in bulk and freeze for longer lasting quality. This is especially helpful if you are cooking for only 1-2 people. 

6. Buy in season 

Seasonal produce is always cheaper. An added bonus is that the in-season produce is usually better in taste than when out of season, and it is more environmentally sustainable. 

7. Check out the frozen aisle 

Some people frown on frozen food, but you can find gold in the frozen section. Frozen food does not always equal lower quality, and it usually means reduced prices. One way I save in the frozen aisle is by buying frozen fruit which I use to make smoothies. Smoothies are a great way to ensure you get your daily fruit intake and save on costly fresh fruits. 

8. Get creative with leftovers 

Leftovers when eaten over and over again get boring. To spice things up, make a meal that can be used in multiple ways. Grain-based or lettuce-based bowls are a great way to utilize leftovers to make something new the next day. Getting creative with leftovers reduces potential for food waste. 

9. Set up rewards if possible 

Some grocery stores offer reward cards or point systems that can be a quick and simple method to save a little extra. Check to see if your favorite grocery stores offer rewards programs. 

10. Grant yourself one “fun” purchase 

Sticking to a budget is good, but everyone deserves a little splurge. After I check all the items off my grocery list, I allow myself a treat purchase. Sometimes this is a dessert that hits the spot after a long week or a seasonal specialty item that I’ve been waiting for. While this isn’t a money-saving tip, it’s a nice reminder that budgets are great, but you can’t neglect a little treat every once in a while.




No comments:

Post a Comment