Tuesday, January 9, 2018

A Journey to Food, Cultural Competency and Nutrition

By Monique Lavalas


Mark Kurlansky once said, “Food is a central activity of mankind and one of the single most significant trademarks of a culture.” There are many things that connect people and cultures. One of those main things is none other than food. Food is one of the pentacles that make cultures so unique. Cooking reflects history. Food is also reflecting of family memories or memories of childhood. Food has a bigger value to what we can ever imagine. I know this because as an international student in this program, I have been exposed to many cultures, but two that I hold to heart are the Latino and afro-Caribbean cultures. To these two cultures, that I have been exposed to from being born and raised in Panama, I owe every initial knowledge that I have about food, which is tied to memories and causes us to reminisce old moments or create future one. Food is a key component of any to culture.
My Senior Year High School Folkloric Dance Presentation

Even though I have been exposed to these cultures that are second nature for me, I have also learned and submerged myself in other cultures as well. From a tender age, I was exposed to the American culture and was fortunate to see the European and South American cultures later in my life. But initially this was a challenge. It was a challenge to try and understand the cultural significance of the things that the people around me did, and why they did them, and not see it as a right or a wrong. Just to initially understand. By doing this, little by little did I understand people more and more, and I was able to reach my goal which was to identify and relate myself to them.
Ladies of the Ngäbe-Buglé community in Panama. Photo taken from Panama24horas.com.pa
One experience that I had in my own country was to volunteer at non-profit, non-governmental organization, in which they cater to prevent malnutrition in boys and girls from impoverished communities around the country. My task was to develop a booklet of recipes that parents could use for their children. But the challenge was we could only use a certain list of ingredients. Such list lacked ingredients such as flour, milk or even eggs, that as a Western society we are so used to having. This experience helped me submerge myself into understanding the core of such cultures in the native communities of Ñurum and Nole Duima, part of the provincial-level indigenous region of Ngäbe-Buglé in Panama. It helped me refocus my attention of the significant role that food and family have in not only their community, but in our world, and how gradually we have lost track of such practices since our Western society has become so individualized. In these communities, one could see a clear difference in details such as the kitchen location and the interpersonal relationship among parents and their children. Their kitchen was made of bamboo stakes and was located in the outer area of their mud house. Their stoves were also made of mud, and some of their cooking ware was metal or cast iron. Such an experience was inspirational to me, for I was able to see a story other than my own, which helped me have a change in perspective about the beauty of food, nutrition and culture, but more importantly, the beauty of people.
Photo collage of foods we made for the community of Nole Duima and Ñurum.
As future dietitians, we will encounter all sorts of clients or patients in our path, but there is nothing better than to have a deeper understanding of how culture creates a sense of cultural identity in the life of each person. By understanding and being culturally competent we can open barriers and grow to have a better relationship with such patients or clients. Having a good understanding of some’s culture goes beyond race or ethnicity. We must be understanding and acceptant of other’s values, beliefs, principles, or background and not just our own. But one may ask, how can we as future dietitians reach such a level of cultural competency? Some useful suggestions that I have been able to acquire from different professional in and out of the Nutrition & Dietetic fields, and from personal experience are:

1.First, examine your own cultural background. Ask yourself questions. Be reflective of what you are used to and your own culture.
2.Recognize that culture extends past the color of someone’s skin.
3.Find out about the patient’s background. Research and do not be afraid to ask certain questions. Ask questions about what they prepare at home, what are their favorite foods, what are their likes and dislikes. Be open to understand their food habits.
4. Wet your feet and engage in other cultural encounters.
5. Last, but not least, be genuine.

With this I hope we may all grow to be understand more of people and even more of ourselves.

“Culture is a window reflecting the history, culture and spiritual world of a nation, ... Cultural exchange is a bridge to enhance the mutual understanding and friendship between the people of different nations,” as said by Ju Hintao.

No comments:

Post a Comment