Friday, March 18, 2022

My Experience with the Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy

 written by: Samantha Larkin, dietetic intern


During my undergraduate experience, I was struggling to find my niche within nutrition. Most of my professors taught about in-patient, clinical experience, and I knew that was not for me. I learned of the Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy (IFNA) through one of my mentors during the summer of 2020. After researching the organization and their values, it seemed like a perfect fit.


To better understand IFNA, it is an evidence-based, whole systems approach to patient and client care. They combine modern science, clinical wisdom and thinking, while focusing on six key clinical areas: whole body systems approach; root cause analysis; therapeutic elimination diets and food plans; conventional and functional diagnostic labs; the art and science of dietary supplements; and mind-body modalities. 

If this sounds interesting to you, here are the basics of the program:

       A 2 year online program plus an exam.

       5 tracks with 33 modules.

       Available to RDNs and RD to be students.

       A new guest lecturer for every module.

       Estimated cost of the credential program: $5,660.


Initially, the expenses were a concern for me, but as I go into detail below, there were aspects that allowed me to justify the price. The first track has a student discount, the subsequent four do not. However, you pay for one track at a time, so the total price is spread out over two years.

The greatest appeal was that I could complete this program prior to becoming a registered dietitian. The functional and integrative nutrition field is a competitive area to break into; I knew it would set me up for success in finding a related job.

You might be wondering how it is possible to complete a 2 year program while in school. Personally, setting aside a couple hours each weekend for IFNA was the best way to balance schoolwork and the lectures. I had to switch up my tactic during the internship due to my weekends being chalk full of rotation and class assignments. I made the most of my winter break to finish the final track. I found the information from IFNA deviated enough from the school curriculum that it did not resemble homework. And the cost was a significant motivator!

If you are currently in the SLU dietetic internship, or are about to start, you might wonder which concentrations IFNA applies to. The foundations of integrative and functional nutrition can be applied to many different areas of dietetics including all four concentrations offered at SLU. I am in the culinary concentration, and through IFNA, I learned of the synergistic qualities of certain foods when combined. I have seen an improvement in my understanding of how to enhance flavors and create a deliciously healthy meal. Many of the underlying themes in the IFNA program is food as medicine, so having a culinary background can lay the groundwork for a functional dietitian.


Regardless of your concentration, if you are interested in learning more about different labs, nutrigenetics, and the latest science regarding human nutrition, this program will beneficially serve you.

My greatest takeaways from this program include being able to interpret different laboratory results, learning about genetic variations and their impacts on nutrition status, and understanding the pathophysiology of different disease states using a functional lens.

If you are still on the fence about whether this is a realm you want to pursue, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has a dietetic practice group tailored to integrative and functional medicine. Their website has great resources and more information on what it means to be a functional and integrative dietitian.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment