Monday, February 7, 2022

5 Things You Need to Succeed During the Dietetic Internship

By Sabrina Johnston, SLU Dietetic Intern

Over the first half of my internship, I have encountered a number of patients, and I have been able to implement what I have learned over the last few years and what I am still learning. But I realized that being an intern and being a Registered Dietitian takes much more than just learning and reciting nutrition information (although it is important). I have compiled a list of what I think are the 5 most important aspects of my internship that I have developed personally.

Time management.

Time management is at the top of almost all lists on how to succeed, and I think that it is fundamental for succeeding during the dietetic internship. Juggling classes, projects, and rotations at the same time feel hectic, and there were times where I felt overwhelmed and swamped. I learned to create a schedule and timeline to follow and I found myself finishing projects more efficiently and that I even had some free time on my hands. With my schedule under control, I found more time for doing the things I like, such as reading, running, talking with family, and even more time to sleep!

Life is manageable during the dietetic internship, you just have to get organized and stay organized. I kept time management at the top of my list because I realised that once I was organized, everything started falling into place and I could really start enjoying the internship for what it is: an opportunity to learn and have first-hand experience working as a professional in nutrition and dietetics.

Jumping in.

We have a good foundation of nutrition knowledge before starting the internship, but the actual internship is an entirely new journey. What I’ve learned works best for me is jumping in whole-heartedly during each rotation. I learned that the thrill of a new situation or a particularly complex case can be very exciting. I am still learning and every new patient I see is experience gained, every question I ask is more knowledge in my toolbelt for the future.

Secondly, the dietitians that I have worked with want to help, so taking the extra seconds to ask a question or ask for elaboration is well worth my time. Diving head-first into a new rotation is daunting, but with an optimistic attitude, I have had some of the best experiences and have learned so much more by rolling up my sleeves and just going for it.

So far, the most intimidating rotation that I faced was GI - there are so many complex conditions and I was worried that I would be overwhelmed. I told myself to run with it, and I learned so much information by observing then jumping right into it, and I enjoyed myself so much more than any of the previous rotations. Now, I know I am going to face even more challenging situations in the future, but I have grown and I feel that I am ready to face what is ahead of me. I have recently started my oncology rotation, but instead of feeling intimidated, I felt giddy with excitement and I cannot wait to learn more.

Being personable.

Nutrition knowledge can be memorized and spat out like a robot, and I have learned the value of gauging who I am talking to and how to approach them with education and counseling. I have learned how to build rapport with patients quickly and effectively, and I can more easily cater my advice and information to their needs. By seeing patients as people and using a conversation to guide the nutrition information I give, I have noticed much better reception of information.

Not all people are the same, and I have to take into consideration their viewpoint to cater the best intervention that I can. I have seen patients who will talk your ear off about their lives, and I have learned to guide the conversation back to the most pertinent information I need. I have also talked to patients who have told me that they will not listen to what I have to say and have asked me to leave. These interactions are just a glimpse of the many interactions that I will have, so it is important for me to be prepared for anything.

Being personable pertains to those you work with as well. Everyone has their place and their role in helping the patient, and understanding this helps everything move much more smoothly. I have established great relationships with my preceptors and staff at some of my rotations, and it has made my internship experience so much more positive.

Being confident.

I believe my confidence has grown the most during my internship so far. I will start with an example. The first patient I saw on my own was nerve-racking. I walked into my room and I introduced myself, albeit quietly. When the patient responded that they couldn’t hear me, I was shattered, and the thought “I’m not going to make it” ran through my head. I have had a lot of support and guidance from preceptors, teachers, and family. I know the information, confidence just comes from time and experience. Now, I have no trouble at all going into a patient’s room alone, introducing myself, and getting straight to business. I really enjoy speaking to and helping people, and I have gained a lot of confidence along the way.

Life is too short to worry about speaking too quietly and loudly, and I think being confident relates a lot to my previous statement about jumping in. By trusting your gut and diving into a new situation, you gain confidence in yourself and you will see yourself grow because of it.

Enjoy yourself.

To wrap it up, the dietetic internship is straining on time, energy, and brain power. I found that if I focused on what I needed to do in the future and looked at everything at once, I would shut down. Going into every day of the internship positively with an open mind and an open heart, I learned so much more. I connected closely with my preceptors and my patients, and I found myself falling in love with dietetics all over again. As I learned to enjoy myself during my rotations, I found that my paperwork afterwards wasn’t as daunting. I could finish my work more efficiently, and I found more time to relax, read a book, or cook myself a tasty meal.

The dietetic internship is too short to get lost in everything that needs to be done. It is an opportunity to experience what it is like to work as a professional in dietetics, and it is fun to see what opportunities lie ahead.

All pictures are sourced from Canva.




No comments:

Post a Comment