Monday, April 13, 2020

5 Tips for Future Interns to Promote Success during the Internship

By Tori Wannemuehler

Last Sunday was match day for future dietetic internship students. I remember being in their shoes only last year, eager for the year to come and excited for all the new opportunities I was about to experience. I genuinely am shocked that a year has already passed, but the opportunity to write this blog post gave me the chance to reflect on what has occurred over the past year, as well as the numerous lessons I’ve learned along the way. Here is a list of advice for future interns as things I have experienced firsthand, although I believe they apply to more than just the internship:

1. Allow yourself a buffer of time

This applies to just about everything that can be completed in the internship- studying for exams, assignments, checklist items, and even scheduled events. As a natural procrastinator, I find myself waiting until the last minute to accomplish tasks. This allowed me to fall into some sticky situations over the past year. Overestimate how much time you need to work on an assignment or how much time you need to get to rotations in the morning (traffic can often be unpredictable). This way you will be pleasantly surprised when you finish ahead of schedule and should you need the extra time you will be prepared.

2. Plan your schedule wisely

One of the most difficult parts of the internship and graduate classes is balancing all of your responsibilities and assignments. There are many tasks that need to be accomplished from many different sources, as well as various meetings or scheduled events. I personally find the best method for keeping organized is using a planner and an online calendar. At the beginning of each semester, I lay out all my syllabi, copy all the due dates and important events into my planner, and use that to navigate assignments. When I have a new event or meeting, I make note of it in my iCalendar, so I can see it in my phone or on my computer. I love getting reminders that I have a meeting coming up or an assignment due so that I do not forget. This might not be the best choice for you but be sure to find a system that works for your tastes and allows you to keep track of everything. In addition to this, be strategic on planning your schedule. I can speak from personal experience that scheduling a cooking demo the same weekend as a health fair and the same day as an exam will not set you up for success. Some of this is inevitable, but do not overestimate your capabilities only to be disappointed. Try and plan your days as to not stress yourself out with too many responsibilities.

3. The best thing you can be is flexible and open minded

I intentionally put these two points back to back to present some healthy balance. Creating plans and a schedule is great in theory, until something unexpected comes along that changes said plans. This has been a large theme in the lives of interns over the past month. The effects of COVID-19 have significantly changed our methods of education, and no one planned to complete the semester remotely. Learning to be flexible and adapt to change can make you a better student and a better future RD. There are plenty of cool experiences you can have when you decide to say yes to something new. A prime example of this in an intern setting is during one of my rotations, my preceptor asked me if I would be interested in helping her with a cooking lesson after the time I was scheduled to leave. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay late and help her with this cooking lesson, and it was an amazing opportunity that I would not have experienced had I just stayed during my normal 8am-4pm workday. Being open minded to new opportunities and flexible will get you farther than you can imagine.

4. Have an outlet to give your mind a break, and incorporate it into your schedule

This lesson is a huge one that I feel like most people, interns or otherwise, could benefit from learning. The internship is difficult, there is no getting around that. You need to find ways that help you take a break and relieve some stress. Whether that be working out, hanging out with friends, getting outside, or anything else you can think of, find something you love to do and make a point to incorporate it into your daily or weekly schedule. Do not forget to prioritize your mental health, you deserve a break.

5. Do not overwork yourself; know when to move on

I had an eye-opening conversation early this year. I was talking with someone about having a routine and giving your all. I said that I struggled to give 100% to all the tasks I had on my schedule, as I did not feel I had enough hours in the day to accomplish everything on my plate to perfection. That person told me that I was looking at it from the wrong angle. They went on to say if you’re giving 100% all the time, you will burn out, as it is okay to not give your best effort each and every day. At times, you need to learn when enough is enough and realize that not everyone will be as critical of your own work as you are. You could work for 16 hours a day on everything you have and still feel like you have unfinished business. To that point, set limits for yourself. For me, this is giving myself an hour after rotations are done to relax, then working on whatever is on my plate for the day until 8pm, then taking the rest of the night off. This allows me to get work done daily, but not be overwhelmed and burnt out. Getting into a routine and setting boundaries for yourself will help you navigate the work-life balance associated with the internship and set you up for success.

I hope these tips are helpful for future interns as well as anyone else reading this. While the past year has been one of the most hectic years of my life, it has also been one of the most rewarding and I have experienced a tremendous amount of growth, both professionally and personally. I am excited on behalf of those starting internships and wish they can grow and take time to enjoy the internship over the next year.

The following images are photos I have taken throughout the year and a little background as to why it is relevant- feel free to include any of them!

Fellow interns and I taking Christmas photos. Hanging out with friends has become one of the ways I take a break and it is great to be able to do it with those who understand what you are experiencing.
Met Surgeon General Jerome Adams at FNCE this year. A cool opportunity that I pushed myself out of my comfort zone to do and I am so glad I did!

Another study break throwing a “Friendsgiving” party with interns this holiday season. 
Fellow intern and I working a health fair for senior citizens. We were able to interpret results for cholesterol screens and had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment