Monday, April 10, 2017

Farmer's Markets: The Hidden Gems of the St. Louis Area

By Hannah Addington

I have been an avid farmers market goer for about 10 years now, so I can definitely say I have been to my fair share of markets. I can’t exactly explain what it is about them that fill me with so much joy. It may be the lush red tomatoes, the perfectly ripe white nectarines, or the crisp pink lady apples. Or it may be the eager farmers who worked so hard to harvest their produce standing under their tent, lining the street. Or maybe it’s the sound of kids playing together as their parents gather produce for the week. As you can see, it’s not just one aspect of a farmers market; it is every small detail working together that makes each market complete. They allow a community to come together to support local farmers and small business owners. It encourages the community to eat fresh, nutritious foods. Farmers Markets make every Saturday morning simply amazing.

A little bit about me…I am a quadruplet, so life has been a little different for me, but definitely wonderful. Our parents raised us in a small town in central California called Lodi. Lodi’s population is made up of elderly individuals, families with small children, and farmers. We have an amazing farmers market held every Thursday with rows of local produce. To say I was spoiled with excellent produce is an understatement. However, in August 2016, I packed the trunk of my Hyundai Elantra and embarked on a 32-hour trek to St. Louis, Missouri. Although I was so excited, I was slightly concerned about the quality of produce in my new home. So I have decided to share my farmers’ market adventures.

1st Stop…

Soulard’s Historic Farmers Market
730 Carroll St, St Louis, MO


Quality of Produce…6 out of 10
I ventured out with some of my fellow Saint Louis University Dietetic Students to Soulard’s historic farmers market. This market was easily the largest one I have ever been to. There were tents after tents of vendors. After walking up and down the isles, I decided on two white nectarines, a basket of strawberries, and one pink lady apple. After trying each throughout the week, I wasn’t exactly impressed with the quality. My nectarines were a little bit on the squishy and almost chalky side…the strawberries were a little bruised. However, my apple was excellent…crisp and juicy! Therefore, I gave the overall quality a 6 out of 10!

Variety of Items…10 out of 10
Like I mentioned earlier, this market was huge! They had everything you could possibly imagine. If you wanted to buy a chicken to lay fresh eggs for breakfast, crab, tomatoes and avocado for lunch, a cut of beef for dinner, a cardinals hat for the game later, shampoo for the shower after the game, a bunny to entertain the kids, and of course the bloody mary to sip on while buying all of this, you could do it at Soulard! It really is the one stop shop. Soulard received a 10 out of 10 for variety!

Environment…5 out of 10

When I first arrived at Soulard’s market, I noticed a man at the entrance playing beautiful jazz music from a saxophone. Despite the soothing sounds, it was crazy busy, causing the experience to almost feel like the grocery store the day before thanksgiving. And we all know how that goes… It wasn’t by any means a typical relaxing Saturday morning market. Therefore, I gave the environment of this market a 5 out of 10.

2nd Stop…

Tower Grove Farmers Market
Center Cross Dr & NW Dr. Saint Louis, MO 63110


Quality of Produce…10 out of 10

The following weekend, I ventured out to my second Farmers Market of St. Louis, the Tower Grove Farmers Market. I walked past the tents. The tent with ripe peaches, the one with freshly popped popcorn, the one with newly canned jams. Everything looked so enticing, but I finally decided to buy a summer squash, a zucchini, and a juicy and very red, ripe tomato. Later that evening, I made a fresh salad using these vegetables, which were perfect. The quality was a 10!

Variety of Items…7 out of 10

Although this market was much smaller than Soulard’s, it still had a wonderful variety of produce, baked goods, jams, and more. As you walked in to the left, there were two young men making fresh breakfast sandwiches. Next to them was a coffeebooth that had at least 6 different brewed coffees. Across the way had to be one of the most interesting things for sale. Alpaca. Now maybe it’s a weird Midwest thing…but I have never even heard of anyone selling alpaca, let alone at a farmers market. According to the nice gentleman selling it, it has great taste and very tender! So to wrap it up, Tower grove had excellent variety. 7 out of 10!

Environment... 10 out of 10

This farmers market was like a little piece of home in St. Louis. It felt like it was from my little town of Lodi, California. It was quaint and charming. There were children laughing and screaming as they ran through a water fountain cooling off on a hot humid mid afternoon. There were families sitting on the grass enjoying the fresh fruit they purchased, while their puppies played on the green grass next to them. Everyone appeared to be happy and content. It was a 10 out of 10!



3rd stop…

Kirkwood’s Farmers Market
150 E Argonne Kirkwood, MO 63122

Quality of Produce…9 out of 10

To continue on the exploration of St. Louis’s Farmers Market, I ventured off to Kirkwood, a small suburban neighborhood in the St. Louis area. Instead of white tents set up everywhere, this market had their produce in aisles, one large one down the middle, and then one down each side. I wanted to try something new, something different. I bought a jar of apple butter, and a ripe mango! I had never tried apple butter, I guess it is popular in the Midwest though! It was amazing! It was like an applesauce, but so much better. And the mango was perfectly ripe and sweet! Since apple butter technically doesn’t count as produce per say, I had to give their quality a 9 out of 10!

Variety of Items…8 out of 10

While walking through the market, I paid close attention to their selection and variety of items. They had a beautiful array of produce, meats, freshly baked cookies, apple butter, jams, and even pies! It was definitely impressive. However, when comparing it against Soulard’s massive amount of items, I just couldn’t give it a 10, but it came close with an 8!

Environment…8 out of 10

This market is set along an adorable street! It was old, historic, and felt like we were back in the 1800s! Myself, and my fellow interns that always come along on my journey with me, walked to the entrance. We saw two young men playing live music that set a very relaxing, ‘laid back Saturday’ kind of mood! Although this market didn’t have a grass area to have a picnic on, or a fountain for children to run through, it still had a great environment. So I gave it an 8 out of 10!
                     

I have to say that I had no reason to be skeptical of the farmers markets in the St. Louis Area! I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, the variety, and the environment of all three of these markets! Although, each is very different, they all had a unique and special touch! So coming from a cali girl… St. Louis, you have impressed me!



This is a favorite salad of mine that can be made with these fresh veggies or any others that you pick up from the farmers market!

Apple and Zucchini Salad

“Fresh-Tasting. Colorful. Potluck and picnic-worthy”
Recipe by: Deborah Hoerman Watt 
  • 1 pound zuchinni, diced
  • 3 apples, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • ½ red onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine zucchini, apples, green bell peppers, and onion ina bowl. Whisk vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, basil, salt, and balcke pepper together in a separate bowl; drizzle over zuchinnie mixture. Toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment