Thursday, December 1, 2016

Picky Eating: A Success Story

Picky Eating: A Success Story

By: Samantha Gilbreth

“I always thought before I had kids that when I did they would be perfect eaters because– hello! –I was a dietitian! Then I had a child and reality hit.” – Brittany Poulson, MDA, RDN, CD, CDE

I do not have a picky eater for a child, but I do have a husband. Before my husband and I were married, I was aware of his lack of exposure to many foods that I had previously considered to be extremely normal. Growing up, his family was limited in exposure to a variety of foods from a dad that was a “meat and potatoes” kind of man and a family history of severe food allergies. This shaped him into someone who was a little cautious of trying new foods. It was on our one year anniversary that I recognized the true extent of his lack of exposure when he tried his first strawberry (and loved it). Since then, I have heard multiple lectures on the topic of “picky eaters” and how to lead them toward trying new foods while studying to become a Registered Dietitian. Although these lectures were all focused on children, I have found that some techniques can also be very effective with adults as well.

My favorite technique to put into practice is involvement in food preparation, which encompasses everything from making the grocery list to deciding which plates to use. When writing our grocery list, I always have categories first, such as “fruit”, “vegetable”, “meat”, etc. Then, I ask him to list a few under each category that he would like and ask him if I could put in a few suggestions (since he almost never includes items like carrots or tomatoes on his list). Then, when I am at the grocery store, I pick up what is on the approved list, and oftentimes I also pick up a surprise ingredient that fits into our categories to encourage variety.  When it comes to dinner time, I always give him menu options so that he feels more invested in the meal. He usually steps in to help with cooking, but I especially encourage it when we try new foods so that he can better understand how it is prepared and feel further invested in the food item. I have also found that when he is involved in preparing the food, he feels like he has more control and can make the food more to his liking. For example, he will not eat bell peppers unless they are cut to a certain size, so when he is in charge of cutting up the vegetables, I can rest assured that he will be eating all of his vegetables that day. This technique has worked wonders on widening the variety of foods that my husband will eat, especially when it comes to vegetables.

Another technique that works well is exposing him to new foods when he is hungry. Recently, we were trying to wait for dinner because we had late dinner plans already scheduled, but we could not hold off anymore. Since I was craving guacamole and had avocados already, I decided that it was a good idea to go ahead and snack. The only problem was that so far in his life, my husband had always been a little wary of avocados. I mean, they are mushy and green, after all. But, what he does like is lime, so when I squeezed fresh lime into the soon-to-be guacamole, he decided that giving it a try would not be the worst thing that he could do. Now, I eat avocados at least three times a week, per his request.

When I was little, my grandmother’s favorite line to say was “You don’t know that you don’t like it until you’ve tried it ten times.” Little did I know that she was right. Of course, there are some foods that you know you do not like the first time you try them. For example, I know that I do not like rutabagas and Cool Ranch Doritos. For my husband, the most recent discoveries are related to scallops and brussel sprouts. Over the past few years, he has tried scallops at least four times, always asking me if he likes them before taking a bite. Well, he finally decided one month ago, that scallops are definitely for him. However, brussel sprouts have not been so lucky. After trying them at least five times with different preparation methods, last week he decided that brussel sprouts could no longer be tolerated. That was a sad day for me, especially since I love brussel sprouts more than I sometimes care to admit.

When I told my husband that I was going to write about him, of course he became very curious, so I let him in on the project by asking him to list some foods that he loves now that he did not when we started dating. He then eagerly began listing foods, making sure that I was writing them down, and he also started talking about how his cooking skills have improved as well. On that note, he recently decided that he needed something more challenging than risotto to make for me, so he took on the scary but delightful task of conquering the chocolate soufflé. And he did.

Though sometimes it feels like there is no hope when it comes to getting people to try new, exciting, or maybe even “scary” foods, it is important to recognize that he or she has valid opinions and preferences and that using them as the driving force behind trying new foods will help with your success. My husband would not be where he is today in regards to the foods that he will and will not eat without constantly reminding myself that he is his own person that is capable of making his own decisions. My job is simply to help him find new opportunities. 

My Husband’s “Victories”

  •           Strawberries
  •            Kiwi
  •            Avocado
  •            Cauliflower
  •            Red wine
  •           Tomatoes
  •            Mushrooms
  •           Bell peppers
  •            Broccoli
·         Lentils
·         Cherries
·         Sushi
·         Whole wheat bread
·         Raisins
·         Cranberries
·         Wild rice
·         Brown rice
·         Asparagus
·         Scallops
·        Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)


*For more information about intervening for picky eaters, visit: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/10-tips-helping-kids-try-new-foods
* “Even Dietitians Have Trouble Feeding Their Kids”: http://jillcastle.com/childhood-nutrition/dietitians-trouble-feeding-kids/

No comments:

Post a Comment